[EM] Smith IBIFA

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 10:28:03 PDT 2019

Chris and Steve, you might find it interesting to compare my restatement of
Relevant Ratings with a similar formulation for Majority Judgment:

   1. Initialize the rating level R to MAXRATING
   2. Initialize candidate totals, *T(X)*, to zero  *[T(X) is a shorthand
   for the total number of ballots voting for X at ratings >= R]*
   3. Assume *TR(X,R)* *[the total number of ballots rating candidate X at
   rating R]* has been tabulated while counting ballots
   4. Repeat until a winner is found and R is greater than zero.
      1. For each candidate X, add *TR(X,R)*, the number of ballots rating
      X at level R, to T(X)
      2. Is *T(X) > 50%*? If so X is a member of the current qualifying set
      3. If the current qualifying set has at least one member Q, the
      candidate with the highest T(Q) is the winner
      4. Otherwise, decrement R by one
      5. For each candidate X, is *T(X) > (50% - (TR(X,R)/2))* (using new
      R)? If so, then X is a member of a new qualifying set.
      6. If the new qualifying set has at least one member Q', then the
      candidate with the highest T(Q') is the winner.
   5. If no winner has been found, the candidate with highest T(X) is the
   winner.

In Majority Judgment, each candidate has a majority grade 3-tuple,
consisting of their median rating, followed by the rating that occurs after
removing median ballots, followed by the number of ballots that break the
secondary tie.  The median rating is found by following the above process
for each candidate separately.

If X satisfies the comparison in step 4.2, X's majority grade is *(R, R-1,
TR(X,R)).*

If X satisfies the comparison in step 4.5, X's majority grade (using the
initial R before decrementing) is *(R-1, R, TR(X,R))*

If X falls through to step 5, X's majority grade is *(0,0,T(X)).*

Hopefully it should be clear how this is the same as relevant rating when
every ballot is relevant -- the maximum approved candidate on ballots that
rate X below rating R will simply be the total number of ballots (100%)
minus the ballots rating X at and above R.  So for T(X) > TCA(X,R) is
equivalent to T(X) > 100% - T(X), == 2*T(X) > 100%, == T(X) > 50%.
Similarly for the other comparison.