[EM] (2) Best Single-Winner Method-IBIFA vs. MJ

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Jun 14 05:29:58 PDT 2019

Steve,

On 14/06/2019 6:18 am, steve bosworth wrote:

> S: By saying, "of course not", I understanding that you instead
> mean that your concept of an ideal democracy only guarantees that the
> winner will be support by a plurality of voting citizens who Top-rated
> them, I.e. like FPTP in this respect.  Correct me if I'm mistaken.

C: You asked me a simple yes-no question and I answered it.  If you are
not sincerely very stupid, please stop pretending to be.

> S:  What other appropriate reason can a citizen have for supporting a
> candidate to win other than they "trust" them to represent their own
> scale of political values and concerns?

C: That is entirely their business.

> C:  MJ elects B.  Obviously MJ punished the A>B voters ….
>
> S: I think you already know that to "punish" means to treat someone
> differently while MJ treats every grade given by every citizen in
> exactly the same way.

C: To "punish" a subset of voters in this context means to give them
cause to regret the way they voted. How do you justify not attempting to
minimise
  the proportion of voters in that category, while pretending to be in
favour of minimising "opportunities for tactical voting" (as I think you
put it).

To the extent that you give voters incentive to vote insincerely you
tend to have a "garbage in, garbage out" problem.

> S:  Please study Balinski's reasons for concluding ...

C: No thanks, I'm not interested in joining your Bible-study group.

> S: Also, I think you can already see that IBIFA's promise to give
> Top-rating more weight than Middle-ratings creates an incentive to
> give their first preference candidate a Top-rating..

C: Shock! Horror!   MJ and also all sane methods that use ratings
ballots (except those that use them only to infer ranking and perhaps
also approval)
have the same incentive.  Generally speaking the incentive the to give a
one's favourite a top-rating (or to rank no lower than equal-first) is
not regarded as a
problem in single-winner methods that we should be concerned about.
(Why on earth do you think it does? Obviously there can only be "no
incentive"
if it can't make a difference whether they do or not.)

Rather what is of greater concern is the incentive in most methods for
the voter to *not* do that. Fortunately neither IBIFA or MJ (or Relevant
Ratings or Approval)
have that problem.

> S: Also, IBIFA gives more of an incentive dishonestly to Bottom all of
> their less preferred candidates.

C: No it doesn't, as illustrated by the example in my last post.

45: A>B
30: B
25: C

IBIFA elects  A  (the CW:   A>B 45-30,   A>C 45-25).

IBIFA (like all Condorcet methods and IRV) elects A whether or not the A
supporters "dishonestly Bottom all their less preferred candidates"
but MJ (and all other versions of Median Ratings, such as Bucklin) only
elects A if they do just that.

I look forward to seeing your counter-example.

Chris Benham

> *Hi Chris,*
>
> *I'll respond inline below. I look forward to our next exchange.*
>
> *Steve*
>
> *
> *

---