[EM] What are some simple methods that accomplish the following conditions?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jun 10 10:12:26 PDT 2019

Here is an interesting fact that might help inform the decision about that
fraction:

If X beats Y pairwise then the implicit approval of X will be more than
half of the implicit approval of Y.

In particular, the ballot CW (when there is one) will have more than half
of the implicit approval of the implicit approval winner.

So perhaps in general we should require the method winner to have at least
half of the approval of the approval winner (implicit or not).

But here is another thought: when trying to decide on some numerical
parameter like the fraction in question, have each voter choose one of the
possibilities on their ballot, and go with their median.

[When the median is to be chosen on a one dimensional spectrum, sincere
voting is optimal strategy.]