[EM] Improved Copeland (was "A New Spinoff of Our Recent Discussions")

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Jun 7 15:04:12 PDT 2019

I knew it was too good to be true!

Kristofer,

I forgot that when we worked on decloning Borda that we tried this fixing
Copeland.  That wa a long time ago.  We must be getting old!

I think you have found the cure for failure of mono-raise (if not for
mononucleosis itself)..

To make it clone proof let's try using explicit approval cutoffs and
calculate the penalities by fractional approval.

We can appeal to the convention that a true clone is not split by an
approval cutoff.  Otherwise, Approval itself based on ranked ballots with
approval cutoffs would be clone dependent.

Another advantage of using fractional approval for the penalty counts is
that the method then distinguishes between

49 C
26 A>>B
25 B

and the same profile with A>>B replaced by A>B>>..

yielding the respective winners C and B in the two cases.

Does that fix everything?