[EM] IRV vs RCV

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Sat Dec 14 07:24:32 PST 2019

James,

In the United States, the name RCV was adopted because some activists
wanted an umbrella term that would refer to both IRV and STV together --
and also not sound too technical. There are both pros and cons to this
as a political strategy. One of the several motivations was the belief
that voters and politicians could become accustomed to IRV --
politically a much easier reform to win -- and then persuaded to adopt
STV for the legislative branch later on.

--Bob Richard