[EM] IRV vs RCV

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 14 06:26:13 PST 2019

Is RCV (Ranked Choice Voting) really the same as IRV (Instant Run-off Voting)?

IRV (with preferential voting) surely had its origin as a replacement for successive (or top-two) FPTP run-off votes to determine
the winner in single-winner elections.  This single-winner application of STV preferential voting is known in some parts of the
world as the Alternative Vote, but that name never caught on in the USA.

Does RCV include multi-winner elections, i.e. STV-PR = preferential voting in multi-member electoral districts?

James Gilmour
Edinburgh, Scotland