[EM] [off-topic] The Judicial Branch [/off-topic]

⸘Ŭalabio‽ Walabio at MacOSX.Com
Sat Oct 6 20:03:53 PDT 2018

	⸘Howdy‽

	¡Peace!

	The purpose of this list is voting systems, so this is off-topic, but it is time:

	I have always been mine opinion that its should require ⅔rds + 1 Vote to confirm a judge.  Now, we have a crazy system of a simple majority, with no filibuster, for confirming judges guaranteeing that judges will be incompetent partisan hacks.  We also have the McConnell-Rule:

	The Senate will only take up nominations of judicial candidates of the majority party.

	Let us look at the results:

	President Obama nominated Judge Garland to the Supreme Court.  Judge Garland is a good solid choice for the Supreme Court.  McConnell refused to even consider the nomination.  Instead, McConnell took up the nomination of Judge Gorsuch, a partisan hack, so stupid that he believed that employers can fire employees for refusing to freeze to death on the job.

	In the latest case, by a simple majority, the Senate confirmed Judge Kavanaugh, a candidate with 1 disqualification and 1 clarification:

	*	Kavanaugh openly hates Democrats.  This should disqualify him, but for the Republicans, is is a feature.
	*	Multiple women accuse him of attempted and possibly completed rape.  Maybe these are false politically motivated accusations, or maybe he belongs in a cage.  We do not know because the FBI did not properly investigate the accusations.  The Senate should not have voted until after a proper investigation.  If a partisan hack of Leader of the Senate should force a vote anyway, the duty of the Senate is to reject the candidate, rather than risk appointing a potential rapist.

	Let us look at what we would have if the Senate would have to take an up-or-down votes on nominations and we would require ⅔rds + 1 Vote for confirmation:

	Judges on the Supreme Court would be nonpartisan, well-qualified, competent, effective, et cetera.  The court would be effective and respective.  ¿Why?  Because only good nonpartisan candidates could be confirmed.  The having to take up the nominations with an up-or-down vote would prevent abuse.

	1 other thing I would change is a 10-year  nonrenewable term.  Being nonrenewable would allow Judges to vote their conscious, but the decade of service would end the problem of the Supreme Court being a life-sentence:

	Judges stay in office until they die or are to ill to continue because they fear bad Judges replacing them. They deserve to enjoy their golden years.

	--

	“⸘Ŭalabio‽” <Walabio at MacOSX.Com>

Skype:
	Walabio

An IntactWiki:
	http://intactwiki.org

	“You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.”
	——
	Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan