[EM] smith/schwartz/landau

Curt accounts at museworld.com
Mon Mar 26 12:20:52 PDT 2018

Hi Kristofer,

Thank you for the test case, I’ve added it locally.

I had deja vu on this example because I came across it once before and it looked wrong to me at first. Here, I input the ballots and I got {E} as the single-member Smith and Schwartz set.

But then I realized the example has an alternate ballot style where

1:A>B

is supposed to be interpreted as

1:A>B>C=D=E=F=G=H=I=J=K=L

My default ballot counter does not do that, it assumes no opinion over the rest. I now have a todo to supply a flag to support both ballot styles. :)

I adjusted the ballot input to manually specify the ties, and I got a Schwartz Set of {A, B, C, D, E}. (And then {F, G}, and then {H}, and then {I, J, K, L}).

It identifies the Smith Set as all candidates.

My Schwartz implementation is based off the Floyd-Warshall algorithm here: https://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Maximal_elements_algorithms
My implementation:
https://github.com/tunesmith/condorcet-counter/blob/master/src/main/scala/com/keenworks/vote/condorcet/set/SchwartzService.scala

It looks like that pseudocode doesn’t try to identify components within the Schwartz Set. But looking at the tally I see how E is the Weak Condorcet Winner. Is there pseudocode that identifies these minimal sets separately?

I will have to update my mental definition of Schwartz Set and update y docs; I would have thought E would be the Schwartz Set, although I see looking at the tally how that isn’t true. But I wish my code to identify the WCW(s) from the Schwartz Set, just like it identifies any CW from the Smith Set.

Curt