[EM] smith/schwartz/landau

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Mar 26 01:00:51 PDT 2018

On 03/23/2018 09:33 PM, Curt wrote:
> Thanks to Kristofer for explaining my “beats” vs “beats or ties” confusion.
>
> For anyone interested, here is the software package of me using scala to
> compute Smith and Schwartz sets. It’s not super-advanced, but it at
> least avoids mutable variables. In the future I may try to use more
> expressive FP concepts, and pull in one of the faster Schwartz
> algorithms. I don’t entirely understand the graph algorithms yet.
>
> https://github.com/tunesmith/condorcet-counter
>
> I opined a bit in the README but that’s not really the point of the
> project. I just wanted an easy way to identify Smith and Schwartz sets
> for myself.

As Kevin pointed out, the Schwartz set is actually the union of all
minimal such sets, because (unlike for Smith) that's not the same thing
as just one such minimal set.

At https://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Beatpath_example_12 there is an
example where the Schwartz set has two components ({A,B,C,D} and {E}).
Could you test your software on it?

-km