[EM] Consensus and PR methods

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Wed Mar 7 17:11:39 PST 2018

If my old memory serves me tolerably well, isn't this paper something
like an article entitled The Best of Both Worlds, where the authors did
a survey of a tendency for European electoral systems, over the decades,
to have decreased their average magnitude. I forget the details, just
about everything actually. But it may have gone something like: the
constiuencies shrank and the thresholds got higher.
It was an informative statistical survey.
But I think it went awry on what academics are fond of calling
"normative" considerations. Or on the stricture of David Hume, that what
is, is not necessarily right.
I would have put to the authors, as a critic. That was this trend, they
so diligently exposed, but the moving to a "sweet spot" for political
incumbents, with precious little to do with democracy and effective
elections for the voters?

from
Richard Lung.