[EM] RCV in SF Mayoral election

Christopher Colosi colosi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:59:55 PDT 2018

They separated out ballots “exhausted by overvotes” and “under votes” from
“exhausted ballots”.  I assumed that meant there were 16,000 ballots
eliminated after all 3 choices were eliminated, but after closer analysis,
it appears you are correct that this includes voters who did not vote for 3
candidates.  However, even if only a fraction of the exhausted ballots were
fully ranked and would have ranked more, it probably still surpasses the
144 vote gap currently deciding the election.  Though then you would still
need a substantially larger number to actually sway it 144 votes.  Still,
the possibility exists.

At start
Over votes: 339
Under votes: 1,149
Exhausted: 0

At end
Over votes: 401
Under votes: 1,149
Exhausted: 16,025

So, an over vote on a second or third rank clearly didn’t invalidate the
vote until that rank was reached.  Happened 62 times on later ranks.  Only
401 such voting errors is pretty good

Undervotes didn’t change, meaning that my interpretation was wrong.