[EM] IRV et al v. EPR

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Jul 16 12:21:50 PDT 2018

On 2018-07-16 20:09, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> This system as described is very close to being an excellent
> "Proportional Majority Judgment" method, but has one key flaw. When a
> candidate is elected with more than 1 quota of support, all of their
> supporting ballots are marked as used. To give a proportional method and
> to minimize strategic incentives, only 1 quota of supporting ballots
> should be marked as used. This could be done through some ordering
> criterion (highest support for winner/lowest support for others), by
> proportionally reweighting ballots, or by using up randomly-chosen
> ballots; the differences between these three options would be relatively
> minor.
>
> This reflects the basic way to transform any single-winner method into a
> proportional multi-winner method: find single winners sequentially, and
> then for each of those winners, "use up" the one quota of ballots that
> "contributed most" to making that candidate the winner. There's room for
> judgment calls in defining "contributed most", but other than that this
> is a general template that IMO gives an optimal combination of good and
> practical from methods as varied as IRV (which becomes STV), MJ, STAR,
> Score, approval, Condorcet... in short, almost any single-winner method.

Most of those multiwinner methods have unweighted winners. In EPR (as I
understand it), each winner has a different weight in the assembly, and
thus instead of discarding just a quota and then redistributing the
surplus, it's possible to assign more than a quota to a single winner,
who benefits from this "supermajority" by an increased weight.

To use SNTV as an example, suppose you have a Plurality election of the
type: