[EM] IRV / RCv advances

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Thu Jul 12 23:53:24 PDT 2018

It is ironic that the world seems to have this electoral reform battle
of the big-enders versus the little-enders (from Gullivers Travels).
That is to say the collectivist Europeans and their outliers, back a
proportional count with party lists - such as sabotages individual
choice, without a ranked choice for voters. While the good ole US of A
does not forget individual representation with a ranked choice, but
forgets equality of representation with a proportional count. The only
exception is Cambridge Mass. using STV, and one or two minor cases of
STV in Minnesota, I believe.
One EM member says STV is BAD. As the ignored inventor of FAB STV, I
know the limitations of traditional STV but essentially it is on the
right lines, laid down by the original inventors, Carl Andrae and Thomas
Hare, namely the quota-preferential method, as the Aussies pithily
describe its essence.

As for ranked pairing, my understanding is that it is not an independent
method at all, but a means of cross-referencing a ranked choice
electoral system. As previously mentioned to this email group, I wrote a
supplemetary chapter on this, in my book FAB STV: Four Averages Binomial
Single Transferable Vote.

from
Richard Lung.