[EM] Path dependence monotonicity failure in BTV

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Feb 18 06:23:40 PST 2018

Here's a concrete example of the kind of BTV monotonicity failure I've
been talking about. It's not optimized, so go ahead and do so if you'd like:

   9: A>B
   2: A>B>E
975: A
   8: A>E
  10: B>A
984: B>C
  19: C
993: E

3000 voters, two seats. The Droop quota is 1000.

I'm using BTV without skipping ranks. Thus after some candidate is
elected, the elimination of the winner shifts the remaining candidates
up (like in STV); there's no "hole" in the ballot ranking where the
winner used to be.

For the profile above, the first round count is as follows:
	A: 994, B: 994, C: 19, E: 993
Nobody exceeds a Droop quota, so we go to the second round.

The second round count is: A: 1004, B: 1005, C: 1003, E: 1001
Everybody exceeds the Droop quota. B is elected no matter whether the
tiebreak is greatest count in last round or leximax/first differences
(as they amount to the same thing here).

After the reweighting, the first round count is:
	A: 983.055, C: 19, E: 993
and the second round count is:
	A: 983.105, C: 23.92, E: 1001

so E wins.

Now raise E on the two A>B>E ballots to A>E>B.

The first round is as above (no change to first ranks). The second round
count is: