[EM] Approval-based replacement for jungle primary

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 23:11:21 PST 2018

Hi Rob,

What you're describing with your percent satisfaction sounds a lot like
Proportional Representation, though the context of a primary is quite
different.

I come from the school of "challenge makes you stronger", so I would
welcome more contrasting voices into the general election.

I think that including the complementary opposition winners against your
"truly viable candidates" would be a way to do that.

You're more likely to get engagement and consequent turnout when more
people feel like their voices are being heard in the debate. A slate of
blandly similar center seekers would be a recipe for voter apathy.

If the viable candidates are A_1 (= Approval Winner), A_2 (Approval runner
up), etc., with complementary opponents B_1, B_2, etc., then I think it
would be appropriate to add them in (A_i, B_i) pairs until your desired
representation level is met.

Actually, I don't know if I would put the truly viable cutoff at 50%. In a
true jungle primary, you might end up with only 40% winners at the
highest.  I might go down to 33. 3% A_i candidates if that's what it takes
to get at least 66.6% voter representation.

Ted