[EM] Schulze Method shortcut

John john.r.moser at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 07:30:38 PDT 2018

Hi all!  I'm investigating election methods as part of a general interest
in political things (I've run for Congress, developed economic policies,
and am seriously considering opening an elections consulting firm due to
recent failures in election security).  I wanted to ask a few questions
here.

The Schulze method elects from the Schwartz set using a beatpath
algorithm.  The usual explanation is incredibly complex, and complexity is
undesirable but often necessary.  Would this method be equivalent?

   1. Eliminate all candidates not in the Schwartz set.
   2. If there is one candidate left, elect that candidate.
   3. Exclude the pairwise race with the smallest win margin.
   4. Repeat.

Tideman's Alternative Schwartz is this, except #3 eliminates the candidate
with the fewest first-rank votes.  I am leaning toward Tideman's
Alternative Schwartz or Smith for their simplicity and resistance to
tactical voting and nomination.

Thanks.

—John