[EM] Automatic Primary + Pairwise Runoff (APPR), a class of cloneproof top-two-style methods

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 14:25:47 PDT 2017

As an example of APPR-Approval, consider the following ballots:

 98: Abby >  Cora >  Erin >> Dave > Brad
 64: Brad >  Abby >  Erin >> Cora > Dave
 12: Brad >  Abby >  Erin >> Dave > Cora
 98: Brad >  Erin >  Abby >> Cora > Dave
 13: Brad >  Erin >  Abby >> Dave > Cora
125: Brad >  Erin >> Dave >  Abby > Cora
124: Cora >  Abby >  Erin >> Dave > Brad
 76: Cora >  Erin >  Abby >> Dave > Brad
 21: Dave >  Abby >> Brad >  Erin > Cora
 30: Dave >> Brad >  Abby >  Erin > Cora
 98: Dave >  Brad >  Erin >> Cora > Abby
139: Dave >  Cora >  Abby >> Brad > Erin
 23: Dave >  Cora >> Brad >  Abby > Erin

(modified from an example due to Rob LeGrand that is cited here:
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Definite_Majority_Choice)

In this case, the Round 1 winners are Erin and Abby, and the Round 2
winners are Dave and Abby.  The Automatic Primary winners are Erin and Dave.

Though Abby is never a round 1 or round 2 approval winner, she pairwise
defeats both automatic primary winners Erin and Dave, and is therefore the
APPR-Approval winner.  It can also be seen that Abby, though not the
highest approved candidate, is nevertheless rated highly by Erin and
non-Erin voters alike, and could be seen as the best compromise candidate
by both factions.  This should yield a high degree of satisfaction with the
results.

Compare with http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Marginal_Ranked_Approval_Voting,
which also finds the same result.