[EM] CMU's "cake cutting" solution to gerrymandering

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Nov 9 17:05:54 PST 2017

On 11/9/2017 6:29 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
 > ... , I'd say the best way to solve the problem is to dissolve the
 > problem, as it were; to make the thing that leads to the problem
 > in the first place, go away.

I strongly agree!  That's why I support using a method where the
boundaries can be manipulated to anyone's content and the balance of
power among political parties stays the same.

I've described my recommended approach in my book, Ending The Hidden
Unfairness In U.S. Elections.  Specifically each district has two seats,
which are filled by the most popular candidate and the second-most
representative candidate.  A few additional "statewide" or "nationwide"
seats -- the number of which depends on how proportional the results
need to be -- are filled according to which non-winning candidates best
represent the voters who are not well-represented by the voters who
dislike the district-based winners.

All of the methods I've seen for "fairness" in choosing boundaries
result in unfairness.  Expressed as a metaphor, using a coin toss is
"fair" in terms of process, yet the outcome always gives an advantage to
one side or another.  In other words, a fair process does not
necessarily yield fair results.

Richard Fobes