[EM] Minmax ranked method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Nov 5 12:39:20 PST 2017

On 11/05/2017 08:08 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> Subject: [EM] Minmax ranked method
> From: "Kristofer Munsterhjelm" <km_elmet at t-online.de>
> Date: Sun, November 5, 2017 3:24 am
> To: "EM" <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
>

>> In colloquial terms, it elects a council that pisses off
>> the one most pissed off the least,
>

> i'm still parsing this phrase.

Whoops, yeah, I saw that could be a bit confusing just after I posted :-)

For each potential council, there's a voter that's most displeased with
having that council elected. A minmax method minimizes how displeased
this most displeased voter is (which may be a different voter for
different proposals).

In veto situations, if a minority can say "nope", it's more important
that no such minority can be annoyed enough that they do so than just
how annoyed the rest of the voters get.