[EM] Resume: Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods - guidelines?

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Tue May 23 11:07:46 PDT 2017

Actually VoteFair ranking would work quite well for electing members to
the Norwegian parliament, or any other parliament/legislature where
highly proportional results are important.  Doing so simply involves
choosing the right numbers.

Specifically, for the case of Norway where there are 19 districts
("constituencies"), and which has a unicameral (rather than bicameral)
parliament, I suggest:

Category 1: Each district ("constituency") would elect 4 members using
VoteFair representation ranking. Typically the two dominant parties in
that district would win 2 seats each.  (If a nation had lots of
districts or states, then only two members would be elected this way.)

Category 2: Each district would also elect an additional 1 or 2 members
using VoteFair "districtwide" partial-proportional ranking (using only
the ballots in that district).  Typically these seats would be won by
members of that district's non-dominant parties.

Category 3: An additional 30 (or 20 or 40 or whatever) seats would be
elected using VoteFair "nationwide" partial-proportional ranking (using
all the ballots across the nation).  Although this method includes the
word "partial" in its name, the method becomes fully proportional simply
by choosing to use this method for lots of seats.  These seats would be
won by whichever parties did not win "enough" seats at the district level.

Yes, as explained in "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections"
for use in the United States there would be only a few (of what I'm
calling here) Category 3 seats.  That's because in the U.S.
proportionality by state is as important as proportionality by political
party.  That's also why I included the word "partial" in the name
VoteFair partial-proportional ranking, namely because in the U.S. case
it does not cover enough seats to ensure full party-based proportionality.

Getting back to the case of Norway, or elsewhere where party
proportionality is more important than location proportionality, simply
filling lots of nationwide seats using VoteFair partial-proportional
ranking achieves a high degree of proportionality.

As part of this suggestion, VoteFair party ranking would also be used.
It eliminates the need to set a quota for the minimum percentage of
votes needed (by a very minor party) to win a single seat.  Of course
only a voter's top-ranked party would be used for the proportionality
calculations.  (The full ranking would be used to limit how many
candidates each party can offer in that district's election.)

Most importantly, VoteFair ranking elects the entire parliament without
allowing political-party leaders to choose which candidates fill that
party's seats.  Why is this important?  It allows the voters to control
the parties.  This greatly reduces the corruption that inevitably occurs
when insiders have control of which candidates win that party's seats.

As a reminder, VoteFair ranking eliminates the need to ask candidates to
choose which kind of seat they are competing for.  Every candidate is
competing for the Category 1 seats, but they have an opportunity to win
a Category 2 seat in their district if their party is medium-popular in
that district.  And every candidate who fails to win a Category 1 or 2
seat has another chance to win a Category 3 seat if the candidate is
popular in his/her district and is in a party that failed to win enough
of the Category 1 and 2 seats.

The situation in the United States is quite complex, which is why it was
challenging to design VoteFair ranking to meet the needs here.  In
contrast, smaller nations -- that have only a few big metropolitan areas
(instead of hundreds as in the U.S.) -- can use a simplified version of
VoteFair ranking.

Thank you for asking for clarification instead of just assuming that
VoteFair ranking is only suitable for use in the U.S.

And thank you for asking questions because I'm sure that lots of other
readers have the same (or equivalent) questions.

Richard Fobes