[EM] (3) How Each Citizen’s Vote Can Fully Count in the Legislature” – no votes wasted

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 10:20:57 PDT 2017

To everyone:

I would like to respond to the different posts (from Kristofer Munsterhjelm and James Gilmour) that commented on my post: No Wasted Votes (03/25/2017).  My comments will be marked by “S:”.  Firstly, I will offer an improved version of my post, hoping that this will make my later comments more easily understood.  I look forward to your feedback.

Because I want a more complete democracy, I want to explain: “How Each Citizen’s Vote Can Fully Count in the Legislature” – no votes wasted.  Using California’s legislative Assembly as an example, the system I call  Associational Proportional Representation (APR) would allow each citizen to guarantee that their one vote will be added to the “weighted vote” in the Assembly of the elected member they trust most. The details of exactly how APR would work in practice are available the article I will send you upon request (stevebosworth at hotmail.com).  However, please let me briefly describe it in the next paragraphs.

APR elects all the winners at one time, and in effect, uses the whole state (country or nation) as one electoral district. Its special “associational” structure allows this.  No matter through which one of APR’s “electoral associations” a citizen is voting, she can rank any number of the candidates running in the whole state (nation or country).

APR uses a greatly strengthened development of IRV (or Single Transferrable Voting (STV)). From their local polling stations, each citizen would rank 1-2-3 ... as many of the candidates in the whole state (or nation, or country) as they might wish. Each member would have a “weighted vote” in the Assembly exactly equal to the number of citizens who had helped to elect them. Well before the general election, APR’s “associational” element would be provided by APR’s special primary election. This “primary” would discover society’s most popular voluntary organizations through which all citizens will rank candidates during the later general election. During the “primary”, citizens’ would rank any number of these organizations (e.g. political parties, districts, and interest groups) who had applied to the state’s electoral commission to be allowed to send at least one member directly to the Assembly. Each citizen would be able to rank any of these organizations seen by her to reflect her own worldview, and thus seen as most likely to nominate attractive candidates for her to rank in the general election later. The more non-geographically defined “associations” so discovered, the fewer but larger would be the average size of the existing geographically defined “associations” (i.e. districts).

APR’s strengthened STV would

1. allow each citizen to rank any number of the candidates running in the state. This much wider choice of candidates makes it more likely that each citizen’s vote will help to elect a member who is as close as possible to her ideal, and thus her one vote is much less likely to be wasted qualitatively;

2. give each member a “weighted vote” in the assembly exactly equal to the number of citizens who have helped to elect them. This helps to ensure that no citizen’s vote will be wasted quantitatively; and

3. if and when none of the candidates a citizen has explicitly ranked is elected, the APR ballot allows her to require her first choice but eliminated candidate to transfer her one vote to the elected candidate seen by him to be the one most likely to represent both him and her most faithfully.

These features of APR allow each citizen to guarantee that their one vote will fully count in the assembly, one way or another, both quantitatively and qualitatively. It also guarantees complete party proportionality in the legislature.

At the same time, the average quality of APR candidates in the eyes of voters is likely to be higher than offered by any other electoral system. This quality is likely to be supplied by APR’s special “primary” election which

  1.  discovers all the “electoral associations” (geographically defined or not) through which all citizens would elect all the members of the assembly, and
  2.  determines through which “association” at their local polling station each voter will be voting during the later general election, i.e. her most preferred “association”.

Each citizen could rank any number of these applicant organizations according to how closely each reflects their own worldview. She would see her first choice as being the one most likely to nominate the most attractive candidates for her to rank later in the general election. These rankings would determine the most popular group of these organizations that together are both proportionately supported by all the voters and are able to elect the whole assembly. It is each of these organizations that would be officially recognized as an electoral “association”.
After the primary, each “association” would nominate candidates to represent its interests and concerns, i.e. candidates for citizens to rank during the later general election. These arrangements would entirely remove the anti-democratic effects of any gerrymandering or safe-districts.
Therefore, in contrast to all the other ways to elect a legislature, APR:
1. would not waste any citizens’ votes, quantitatively or qualitatively,
2. would entirely remove the anti-democratic effects of any gerrymandering or safe-districts,
3. would help make each member see that each of his electors who becomes disappointed with his performance in the assembly will be easily able to reject him during the next general election in favor of a candidate she sees as more trustworthy.

S: Please also feel free to request me to send you any of the appendices listed at the end of the above mentioned article, e.g. APPENDIX 2: Optimal Quality Representation Provided, APPENDIX 6: Working Majorities are Likely in APR Legislatures, APPENDIX 7: Strategy for Introducing APR into the USA.  Also, please send these ideas to anyone whom you think might be interested.
What do you think? I very much look forward to your feedback, questions or criticisms.

Steve (stevebosworth at hotmail.com)