[EM] The election methods trade-off paradox/impossibility theorems paradox.

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Fri Jun 23 11:28:45 PDT 2017

I also have found it hard to believe that Score voting and Approval
voting are taken seriously.
There is a tradition of cumulative voting in one of the states, that,
not surprisingly, would not have compared badly with FPTP.
An American political science association uses Approval Voting. I take
that choice in itself to be a form of strategic voting. Neither looking
too bad with FPTP, nor looking too good, in the eyes of (gerrymandering)
politicians.

Richard Lung.

On 23/06/2017 17:09, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> Subject: Re: [EM] The election methods trade-off paradox/impossibility
> theorems paradox.
> From: "Brian Olson" <bql at bolson.org>
> Date: Fri, June 23, 2017 8:35 am
> To: "EM" <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
>
> > I was speaking only of ballots, and and in the abstract that *some*
> election
> > algorithm could take that information and make a good outcome of it.
>
> No, we should not make the voters cook up that information.  all we
> should ask the voters is "whom do you prefer A or B?"  and "if you
> can't get your favorite, whom is your next preference?"
>

> > I don't favor raw Score summation. It's strategy prone.
>
> of course it is.  scoring is strategy prone if you use the scores in
> *any* algorithm other than simple ranking.  and then don't use scores.
>  just rank.
>

> >  For choices where
> > my honest vote might be [1.0, 0.8, 0.6, 0.4, 0.2, 0.0] I should probably
> > vote strategically [1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0].
>
> but then you're not helping your first choice beat your second or
> third choice.
>

> > And if you don't like that and the varying vote power depending on
> how you
> > vote: I have a system for you!
> > "Instant Runoff Normalized Ratings" (IRNR)
> > Each ballot is normalized so that all ballots have the same magnitude.
>
> pfffft!  way too complicated.
>
> > The
> > modified ballots are summed, and the choice with the lowest sumarry
> rating
> > is disqualified. Each ballot is then normalized again as if the
> > disqualified choice was not there, redistributing the vote across the
> > choices in proportion to the original ballot. The new modified
> ballots are
> > summed and the process is repeated until there are two choices remaining
> > and one choice wins over the other.
> >
> > I think this works better with an honest ballot in the case where
> you like
> > some choice more than another 'just a little bit' or by whatever margin.
>
> no reason to use that over Condorcet (with a simple method to deal
> with cycles, ranked-pairs is still a lot easier to explain than
> Schulze and they pick the same winner if there are 3 in the Smith set,
> so let's use the simpler method)
>

> --
>

> r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com

> ----

Richard Lung.
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com
Democracy Science series 3 free e-books in pdf:
https://plus.google.com/106191200795605365085
E-books in epub format:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/democracyscience