[EM] Resume: Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods - guidelines?

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Wed Jun 7 21:25:56 PDT 2017

After comments about publication/website-posting dates, this message
explains some proportionality concepts that get back to the topic of
this thread.

On 6/4/2017 12:03 PM, Markus Schulze wrote:
 > Maybe January 2006 was the target date for the publication of
 > Fobes' book "Ending the Hidden Unfairness in U.S. Elections".
 > However, the first time that this book was actually mentioned
 > somewhere was in January 2007:

This brings up an interesting question.  Which is more significant?  A
description on a website?  Or a publication in a book or academic journal?

Clearly both Markus Schulze and I have been independently developing
advanced voting methods.

For clarification about my publication dates: (followed by an
explanation of the proportional aspects)

* The description of VoteFair popularity ranking -- which is
mathematically equivalent to the Condorcet-Kemeny method -- is described
in my book titled "The Creative Problem Solver's Toolbox" which I
published at the beginning of 1993.  At the time I developed this method
I did not find a description of it online.  Later, Markus Schulze
claimed that the Condorcet-Kemeny method was described online, but the
short-paragraph description he referred to was both ambiguous and
clearly different from what I came up with.  FYI, I based my idea on the
math concept typically used to fit a straight line through a set of
points, but without the need to do squaring.

* The descriptions of almost all other aspects of VoteFair ranking are
described in my book "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections"
which I finished getting ready for the printer on 2006-January-11.

* What I'm now calling VoteFair negotiation ranking I developed later,
after writing those two books.  Recently I posted the software that runs
the www.NegotiationTool.com website to GitHub.  Of primary interest to
this group is the calculation algorithm at this link:

https://github.com/cpsolver/VoteFair-Negotiation-Tool/blob/master/sub_sort_proposals_overall.pl

Be forewarned that the algorithm is complex, and the comments assume the
reader is familiar with the information at the www.NegotiationTool.com
website.

The second and third items above are what are relevant to this thread
because both of them implement proportional results.  The approach in my
"elections" book applies when voters can indicate a favorite political
party.

In contrast, the VoteFair negotiation tool applies to smaller groups of
people (such as an organization or a parliament), and does not require
political-party identities, and applies to arriving at a set of
proposals -- which do not need to involve candidates competing for seats.

For comparison, the Schulze-STV method does not request political-party
preferences, and only applies to candidates.

My highest priority -- even above getting credit for my contributions --
is to get better voting methods adopted so that unnecessary suffering
under the negative effects of corruption can come to an end sooner
rather than later.

If that doesn't happen, there won't be any election-reform history worth
writing about, and then publication/website-posting dates will not be of
interest.

Richard Fobes