[EM] New election system in Hungary

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Jul 6 21:06:35 PDT 2017

On 7/4/2017 2:53 AM, Magosányi Árpád wrote:
 > If there are flaws in this system, what should be the alternative?

Overall I am impressed by what you have designed!  Yet I suggest the
following refinement to what you propose:

* For the party-list ballot -- which I assume is different for each
political party -- I suggest that each candidate's name appear next to
two ovals, one labeled "Approve" and the other labeled "Disapprove".  If
neither oval is marked, or if both ovals are marked, the ranking is
regarded as "Neutral".  (Spoiled ballots would only occur when it is not
clear whether an oval is marked or unmarked.)  The result is a
three-level ranking.

* This three-level ranking would be counted using any Condorcet method.
Very importantly the software must handle ties at any level.  (My
VoteFair popularity ranking software on GitHub can handle this, and yes,
it can rank 200 candidates, although only the top-ranked candidates are
confirmed to match Condorcet-Kemeny results in the extremely unlikely
case where there is circular ambiguity [also called the
"rock-paper-scissors" situation].)

* Your description mentions using fractional/decimal vote counts, but
they are not needed if you are using a Condorcet method that fully ranks
all the candidates, and which allows multiple candidates to be tied at
any ranking level.  (My VoteFair ranking software handles this, and any
good implementation of the Condorcet-Schultze method should do so too.)

* As far as I know, the best voting strategy is for a voter to heavily
use the Approve and Disapprove categories, and use the Neutral category
for the remaining candidates.  In other words, a voter is wasting their
vote if they only mark a few candidates as Approved or Disapproved.

* If multiple candidates are tied and the limit for that party's won
seats occurs within that tie, the tie would be broken by the party's
ranking of the candidates.  There are fairer ways to resolve such a tie,
but this approach gives the impression that the party has some influence
on the results.  In reality this might affect only a seat or two for
each party.  Ties at other ranking levels do not need to be resolved
because each group of tied candidates win seats if they are more popular
than the threshold level, or they don't win seats if they are less
popular than the threshold level.

* Most importantly, notice that there is no limit as to how many
candidates can be marked as Approved, and no limit as to how many
candidates can be marked as Disapproved.  Voting methods that require
such constraints are especially vulnerable to strategic voting!!

* This ballot approach is simpler than the one you describe, which makes
it easier to learn to mark, and virtually eliminates spoiled ballots.
In contrast, the ballot type you describe would result in very many
spoiled ballots.

* As for the proportional winning of seats by party, I suggest that you
use the recommendation from Kristofer Munsterhjelm regarding awarding
some extra seats to the party that ranks highest according to the
Condorcet ranking of political-party preferences (where the cumulative
ballot can be interpreted as a ranking based on the number of ovals marked).

It is possible that I have misunderstood the method you are proposing,
in which case I might be overlooking something.  If so, please clarify.

I realize that what you are doing is very challenging.  After all,
combining proportional results with Condorcet counting is a new frontier.

 > But I don't want to base such a proposal on feelings, but rather on
 > mathematical proof.
 > Please advise me on how to work it out: what are the results I can build
 > my proof on?

I think your desire for mathematical proofs will NOT be of interest to
most voters and most politicians.  The remainder of this message
contains some more compelling concepts for supporting your electoral reform.

 > ...  My role is to propose an ideal system, for the
 > following tactical communication reasons:
 >  - show how the current system is fscked up compared to an ideal one

The failure of both single-mark ballots (with plurality counting) and
non-Condorcet methods (such as instant-runoff voting) is conveyed with
just nine voters in this scenario:

4 voters prefer A > C > B

3 voters prefer B > C > A

2 voters prefer C > B > A

In this example the single-mark ballot (plurality) winner is A, and the
instant-runoff winner is B, and the Condorcet winner is C.  Notice that
the Condorcet winner is discarded in the first round of instant-runoff
voting.  And notice that the plurality winner is actually the least
popular candidate.  As has been pointed out to me by an election-method
reform advocate in Canada, this is an example that can be explained
while doing the counting on the fingers of both hands.

 >  - pressure politicians to agree on something in which they could be
 > successful based on their instinctive behaviour

Here are some motivation-related insights:

* The number of political parties is not as important as who controls
them -- the voters or the biggest campaign contributors.  The use of a
Condorcet method increases voter influence, which decreases money influence.

* The biggest unfairness in all major "democracies" is that money is
used to control political parties in ways that override what the voters
prefer.  This can occur only because those democracies use vote-counting
methods that can be exploited to control each political party.  (And
typically the biggest campaign contributions come from a few people who
(both directly and indirectly) give money to candidates in MORE THAN ONE
political party.)  In other words, when flawed voting methods are used,
contributions of money (not votes) control political parties.

* When politics is controlled by the biggest campaign contributors, the
result is corruption in the form of customers and clients being
essentially forced (through legal means) to buy (pharmaceutical
products, genetically modified foods, insurance, legal assistance, etc.,
often at excessive prices) from the businesses that are owned by those
biggest campaign contributors.

* The result of corruption is a weak economy.  Better elections will
lead to less corruption, which will lead to a stronger economy.  This
was dramatically demonstrated when the United States cut off control
from Britain; and the current bad economy here in the U.S. occurs
because the biggest campaign contributors have learned how to control
primary elections, which unfairly fail to ask voters to provide more
information than just a single choice in each race.

* Everybody wants economic prosperity.  That overrides all other
political issues, including most religious issues.

* Storytime: When the inventor of an electric motor in Britain was asked
by a government official what advantage it provided, the inventor said
"you can tax it!"  He got the investment money he requested.

* If the economic pie is being divided to give a few insiders bigger
slices of the economic pie, that leaves less economic pie for everyone
else, namely the majority of voters.

OK, the last few points may not be relevant to your election-reform
efforts, yet I think it's useful to keep a clear perspective about
what's really going on.

Good luck!!

If you have further questions, just ask!

Richard Fobes