[EM] Election-method reform bill in U.S. Congress

fdpk69p6uq at snkmail.com fdpk69p6uq at snkmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:40:08 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:

> Are you suggesting that it should be a single 435-member-district?

No, I'm just saying it would be more proportional if it were.  (A party
with 1% support among the general population could win 4 seats, for
instance, vs 0 seats when there's a hundred 5-member districts.)

If
> so, I would worry that it would reduce emphasis on local
> party-building and campaigning

Agreed.  MMP seems better for that purpose, or maybe one of the new things
like GOLD.  I haven't researched multi-winner systems thoroughly.

Fragmentation is a threat to stability/predictability

Is that bad?  A government that has trouble passing laws until they're
modified to appeal to a diverse majority seems like a good thing to me.