[EM] hmmm. Maybe I missed something before SF passed IRV then called it RCV?

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Tue Jul 4 22:02:25 PDT 2017

On 7/4/2017 4:43 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> The blowup scenario could go like this:
> - IRV is used in more and more places
> - Voters think it's now possible for a third party to grow
> - Third parties grow until they're competitive with the two main parties
> - IRV gets confused in an election and elects the wrong candidate

Excellent point.

This is a good reminder as to why some people in the United States think
that instant-runoff voting is a good method.  They do not think beyond
the two-party system, except to hope that third-party candidates can
sometimes win.  But when single-mark ballots are gone, the bias in favor
of just two main political parties will disappear.

It's also related to the issue of "fixing" the U.S. electoral college
system.  The "fixes" assume that there will be only two dominant
presidential candidates.

What's really needed in the U.S. is to fix the PRIMARY elections.  Those
elections need to accommodate four or five or even seven popular
candidates, not just two popular candidates.

Until primary election methods are reformed, both the Republican and
Democratic political parties will continue to be controlled by people
with money who hire election-method "experts" who create
campaign-donation strategies that take advantage of plurality counting
(of single-mark ballots).

(Their strategy to elect a Republican president in 2008 by donating
money to an African-American in the 2008 Democratic primary election did
not work out so well for them.)

And yes, either approval voting or pairwise counting (any Condorcet
method) would work well in U.S. in primary elections -- because the
winner is always from the correct political party.

Happy Fourth of July!  (U.S. Independence day)

Richard Fobes