[EM] Democratic Electoral Methods

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Wed Jan 11 13:11:33 PST 2017

Good Afternoon, Jack

Nomination by petition may give the petitioners a voice in the selection
of the people's representatives, but how does the housewife or taxi
driver express their preference?  If the process is to be democratic,
everyone must have a voice.

Thanks for the link to Jack Nagel's paper.  I've spent a good portion of
the day reading it.  It examines political reform on a state-wide or
nation-wide basis and, in describing the necessary ingredients in a
Recipe for Reform, it outlines some of the obstructions raised by
established parties.  Widespread reform, when opposed by the existing
order, is difficult.  Would we not be better served by a reform that can
be implemented locally, from where it can take root and spread?

Incidentally, I enjoyed the reference to Sir Geoffrey Palmer's work.  He
clearly understands the shortcomings of party politics.  Such people are
rare.

Fred Gohlke