[EM] Democratic Electoral Methods

Jack Santucci jms346 at georgetown.edu
Tue Jan 10 10:49:57 PST 2017

Hi Fred,

STV with nomination by petition is anything but a party-based system. Yet I
find that party organization helps explain even the adoption of that
(supposedly) party-weakening voting rule.

I have little to add to a normative debate about the place of parties in
democracy. I am somewhat familiar with what it takes to win an election
reform. This paper by Jack Nagel is pretty good:
https://fairvote.app.box.com/v/ingredients-for-reform-success

Regards,
Jack

Jack Santucci