[EM] How would you fix California's top two primary?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Jan 10 16:37:34 PST 2017

i would ditch it.  i actually think that political parties serve a purpose.  but i think that it should be easier for an independent candidate or a third-party candidate to run on a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD with whoever the two major parties prop up to run for office.
the
Primary election is not the "primary" place to fix these (lack of) multiple-choice issues.  it's the General.
we can use RCV (that's Condorcet compliant) in the primaries, too, within each party.  but i **really** don't like the idea that the top two of one party end up
eclipsing the offerings of any of the other parties.  in fact i hate that idea.  i think California screwed up with this top two thing.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com