[EM] Bucklin multiwinner method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Jan 6 09:14:58 PST 2017

On 01/05/2017 05:34 AM, Monkey Puzzle wrote:
> Hi Kristofer,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The constraints idea is good, but seems like it would be quite confusing
> the the average voter.
>
> Could you illustrate the method with an example?

Sure. I'll add some tables as well. If the ASCII art messes up, try
accessing the post from the web,
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2017-January/

Here's a relatively simple example: the vote management example from
Wikipedia's article on Schulze STV,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_STV#Scenario

The unmanaged ballot set is

12: A>B>C
38: A>C>B
13: C>A>B
27: B

The Droop quota for two seats is 30.

Ordinary elect-and-punish Bucklin goes like this:

First round (first preferences only): A has 50 votes and is elected. The
surplus is 20, and after reweighting and elimination, the ballot set is:

 4.8: *>B>C
15.2: *>C>B
13.0: C>*>B
27.0: B

(here, * means "nobody at that rank", since Bucklin permits skipping ranks.)

Nobody else exceeds the Droop quota by first preferences only, so
consider the first two preferences.

Second round (first two preferences):
B has a support of 31.8 and C has a support of 28.2. B exceeds the Droop
quota, is elected, and we're done. The winners are A and B.

-

The vote-managed ballot set is

12: A>B>C
26: A>C>B
25: C>A>B
27: B

(A bunch of A>C>B voters decided to strategically vote C first in the
hope of getting C elected because "A is going to win anyway".)

Ordinary Bucklin goes like this:

First round: A has a support of 38, B has 27, C has 25.
A is the only one exceeding the Droop quota, and is elected. The surplus
is 8.
After reweighting, we have:

 2.53: *>B>C
 5.47: *>C>B
25.00: C>*>B
27.00: B

Second round: B has a support of 29.53. C has a support of 30.47. C is
the only candidate exceeding the Droop quota, and is thus elected, so
the winners are A and C. The vote-management paid off.

-

So, on to Puzzle Bucklin. I'm not going to do the unmanaged one, just
show that the managed one has A and B win (so the vote management
doesn't pay off).

The table we're going to use is like this:

Index   Ballot    x_0_*   x_1_*

x_*_0   A>B>C     12
x_*_1   A>C>B     26
x_*_2   C>A>B     25
x_*_3   B         27

In the first round, there are no constraints and all the x_0_* values
are the ballots' respective weights.

A's score is the max you can get A's support to be, considering only the
ballots that rank A first. This is 12+26 = 38 as above, so the first
round plays out like ordinary Bucklin.

A has a score of 38.
B has a score of 27.
C has a score of 25.

Only one of these exceed the quota, so A is elected.

Now we add a constraint:

Surplus constraint:
	x_1_0 + x_1_1 = x_0_0 + x_0_1 - 30
Pass all weights not involved in the election of A onwards:
	x_1_2 = x_0_2 and x_1_3 = x_0_3
Negative weights are not permitted:
	x_1_* >= 0

The table ends up like this:

Index   Ballot    x_0_*   x_1_*

x_*_0   A>B>C     12      ???
x_*_1   A>C>B     26      ???
x_*_2   C>A>B     25  --> 25
x_*_3   B         27  --> 27

Constraints:
	x_1_0 + x_1_1 = 38 - 30
                      = 8
	all nonnegative

We're now in the second round (since nobody else could be elected by
first preferences alone). We have to determine C and B's scores to know
if any can be pushed above a Droop quota, in order to determine who to
elect.

So first try to maximize C's support. We can change the ??? above
subject to that the sum of the two must be 8. The puzzle is to change
the ???s to get C's support as high as possible.

C's support is x_1_1 + x_1_2 (since these correspond to the ballots that
rank C either first or second). It's pretty clear that the optimal
solution is

Index   Ballot    x_0_*   x_1_*

x_*_0   A>B>C     12       0
x_*_1   A>C>B     26       8
x_*_2   C>A>B     25  --> 25
x_*_3   B         27  --> 27

and so C's score is 8+25 = 33.

Now for B's score:

B's support is x_1_0 + x_1_3, since these correspond to the ballots that
rank B either first or second. Again, it's pretty clear to put all of
the surplus to the one ballot that can support B, i.e., x_1_0, so we get:

Index   Ballot    x_0_*   x_1_*

x_*_0   A>B>C     12       8
x_*_1   A>C>B     26       0
x_*_2   C>A>B     25  --> 25
x_*_3   B         27  --> 27

and B's score is 8+27 = 35.

So B is elected in the second round, the winners are A and B, and the
vote management failed.

---

It gets trickier with more than two seats because the constraints can
interleave. Here's an example of that, from
http://www.rangevoting.org/STVPRunger.html :

20: A>B>C>D
20: B>D>E>F
20: F>A>C
20: D>C>E>F
19: C>D>B

three to elect, Droop quota is 24.75.

The table is

Index   Ballot    x_0_*   x_1_*    x_2_*

x_*_0   A>B>C>D   20
x_*_1   B>D>E>F   20
x_*_2   F>A>C     20
x_*_3   D>C>E>F   20
x_*_4   C>D>B     19

Nobody is elected in the first round because nobody exceeds the Droop quota.

For the second round (two first ranks), the support levels are