[EM] Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods - guidelines?

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Feb 23 09:54:23 PST 2017

On 2/22/2017 3:45 PM, Richard Lung wrote:

 > Don't understand your remark about STV ...
 > ... for a single national constituency.
 > The HG Wells formula is "Proportional representation by the single
 > transferable vote in large constituencies."

I assume you are referring to this statement:

 >> STV (the Single Transferable Vote) and similar methods(!) are designed
 >> for a small number of available seats, and it is a mistake to think
 >> that such a method can simply be used repeatedly to achieve fair
 >> results for a large number of available parliament seats.

Although the designers think that they designed STV to handle a full
national legislature/parliament, the method has the same flaw as
instant-runoff voting (IRV), namely the method looks at each voter's
currently top choice (after any candidate eliminations), and that
approach -- of assuming the candidate with the most such "votes" is the
most popular (or the inverse, assuming that the candidate with the
fewest such votes is least popular) -- is extremely flawed.

In other words, STV is like using single-mark ballots, except that when
a voter's marked candidate is eliminated, then the voter automatically
supplies an alternate single-mark ballot.

In spite of that major unfairness/flaw, STV would provide reasonably
acceptable results if only two seats were being filled.  And if a nation
has 3 equally dominant political parties, then filling 3 seats for each
district would work.

However, as I stated before, STV would not provide fair results if it
were used for a full national legislature.

Recently, in Canada, some people have been promoting the idea of using
STV to elect about 5 MPs (members of parliament) from each district
(which they call a "riding").  That would produce very unfair results!
That's what I had in mind when I referred to using STV repeatedly.

Although Schulze-STV uses pairwise counting, it still has the same flaw
that it would not provide overall proportional results if it were used
repeatedly to fill more than 2 (or maybe 3) seats in each district.  And
this method, and similar methods, would also provide flawed results if
it were used to fill all the seats in a national legislature (and those
reasons are explained in my book).

So, OK, I was not clear about the meaning of the word "designed."  I was
referring to the effect of the design rather than the intention of the
design.

Richard Fobes