[EM] Am I still subscribed?

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Fri Feb 10 22:18:33 PST 2017

 > On 02/09/2017 08:26 AM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
 > In a referendum, why does the status-quo option have to be a "special
option"?  why can't it be just one of the
 > several options being chosen from?

The recent Brexit and Trump elections reveal that voters often wake up
to discover that they voted in a way that opposed what they really
prefer.  In other words, it takes time to clearly understand each
choice, and the implications of each choice.

Now combine that confusion with the fact that many people do not know
how to vote beyond saying "Here is the choice I want, otherwise don't
make any change, and I oppose all other choices."

And toss in media-focus issues, where two options is about all that some
news sources want to cover -- because that's what attracts the most
readers/viewers.

In my book "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections" I explain
that a no-change option must always be handled as a separate voting
step, after having identified the most popular of the "change" choices.

And surely no one is going to claim that approval voting can be used
when a no-change option is one of several options, right?

Richard Fobes