[EM] Am I still subscribed?

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Wed Feb 8 22:39:14 PST 2017

On 2/8/2017 1:59 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> It seems simple enough to just do a New Zealand ballot:
> 1. Do you want to change the voting method? (yes/no)
> 2. If yes wins, what do you want to replace it with? (use either
> Plurality or Approval for the meta-election method here)

Nope.  In order to make the decision fair, the final vote needs to be
yes/no.  That means the method needs to be picked first.

Yes, all of us here know that just about any method is better than
single-mark ballots.

And yet, look at what Ontario (a province in Canada) did years ago. They
formed a citizens committee and rigged it in favor of closed-list PR --
which still uses single-mark ballots! -- and then the yes/no vote among
all voters yielded a no-change result.  Thank goodness!  Because
closed-list PR is worse than what Canada already uses.

As I recall, one of the recent popular ideas in Canada was to use 3-seat
STV.  That's not going to yield proportional results in Canada where
there are 3 or 4 main parties.  In my opinion it takes about 5 seats
before STV becomes proportional.

In other words there are so many choices and sub-choices that voting
about voting is not going to yield a meaningful result.  Instead, as
happened in Burlington VT, money will support whichever election method
keeps control in the hands of people who can use money to undermine
election results.

Richard Fobes