[EM] Cartoon about single-mark ballots

VoteFair ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Fri Sep 23 10:56:02 PDT 2016

On 9/19/2016 12:00 AM, Jan Kok wrote:
 > Before you publish that article, please check out VotePact.org

Even if two people agree to cast ballots that cancel each other out,
that's still leaving the decision up to the other voters in that state.

Participating in your VotePact approach requires finding someone to
trust.  And the trusting not only applies to trusting who the person
will actually vote for, but trusting that the person is not also making
a similar arrangement with yet another voter.

In other words, it's really, really hard to find someone you trust who
also has the opposite political preference.

Expressed as a Venn diagram, the overlap between someone I trust and
someone who has the opposite political view is empty.

Here's part of what I hope to convey in the article:

A single-mark ballot is not asking for the voter's first choice.  If it
was, it would also ask for a second choice.

Instead a single-mark ballot is equivalent to being given a marble and
being asked to put it into the bucket with their "preferred" candidate's
name on the bucket.  And only the two heaviest buckets will have their
marbles counted.  The other buckets might as well be bottomless.

Richard Fobes