[EM] Second order proportional representation.

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 15:25:21 PDT 2016

Vulnerabilities are often theoretical vulnerabilities in the the sense that if one group of voters could go back in time after they have seen how others voted, and change the way they voted, they would get a result that all the members of this group find better than the original result. Of course it is not possible to go back in time, or to allow only one afterwards identified group to apply a strategy, or not let other voters change the way they vote, and it is difficult to make each member of the identified group to change his vote in the way that the strategy requires.

I agree that plain lists of vulnerabilities of different methods to different theoretical vulnerabilities is not the best possible approach to estimate the quality of different methods in practical elections. Theoretical analysis and exact knowledge of different theoretical vulnerabilities is needed too, but if one wants to know which election methods would be best in different real life environments, it makes more sense to analyse which vulnerabilities might pose threats in such typical practical environments (when used by regular voters).

One approach to studying this kind of practical vulnerabilities is to try to formulate different vulnerabilities as guidance for practical elections ("if condition A then modify your vote (or votes of all similar minded voters) in way B"). That guidance could be intended for individual voters or for leaders that can study the situation and then give strategic guidance to similar minded voters. I have seen many sensible formulations e.g. on how regular voters should vote in Approval (in practical elections). But as already noted, none for Condorcet methods. This means that it is at least quite difficult to find such working practical strategies for real life Condorcet elections. If there are none, then it may be the best strategy to vote sincerely, which would be good news for practical Condorcet elections.

As I already noted, some basic assumptions for practical elections are that there is no complete information on the opinions of other voters and their planned strategies. One can not (in most cases) fully control how all the voters of some particular interest group will vote. And one must give some space also to possible counter strategies (or loss of support of some candidates because of their strategic plots), when other parties / voters learn that some others are planning to vote strategically. I'm still waiting for the first such practical rule for Condorcet methods. I think there are some situations where practical strategies could work, but such strategies tend to work only in some special situations or under some special assumptions (well known preferences, limited number of candidates, strict party discipline etc.). I'm not aware of any simple practical strategic voting rule that could be applied in all Condorcet elections or with only vague information of the preferences of the voters.

Maybe the question is, what if we would have Condorcet presidential elections in country x next month, do you have some strategic voting recommendation available to all or one of the parties or their members? You may assume availability of some rough poll information now (before you give the recommendation). Or even better if the recommendation is so generic that the voters can make their strategic voting decision based on the last (inaccurate, maybe multiple differing) polls that will be published few days before the election.

Juho