[EM] Second order proportional representation.

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Thu Sep 15 23:52:51 PDT 2016

On 09/16/2016 05:52 AM, VoteFair wrote:
> On 9/14/2016 1:06 PM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>> I just read about an interesting idea in this vein by Brams. First you
>> pick your legislature (using whatever method), then once a majority of
>> the parties decide to form a government, the parties sequentially claim
>> ministries according to an order given by a divisor method.
>
> Here is yet another approach:
>
> http://www.negotiationtool.com/cabinetministers.html
>
> The MPs (members of parliament) rank their preferences for possible
> cabinet members, and then a variation of VoteFair ranking calculations
> fills the cabinet positions.
>
> It mostly uses the algorithms explained at VoteFair.org
> (http://www.votefair.org/calculation_details.html).  Of course a few
> modifications are needed.
>
> Have questions?  Please ask.  But be patient because I'm writing a
> time-sensitive election article that I will announce later.

I've always had the impression that ranked voting isn't going to work in
parliamentary settings because the MPs will feel obligated to strategize
maximally to get what they want, and there are few enough of them that
it is possible to do so.

In a system with strong party discipline, the party leaders or whips
could very well order their respective MPs to vote in a particular way.

Am I wrong when making that assumption?