[EM] (3) MJ -- The easiest method to 'tolerate'

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 03:58:47 PDT 2016

There are of course many different types of election, and while people may argue that online voting is not suitable for national parliamentary elections, it's likely to work for certain "lesser" elections.

And as I have argued on the CES Google Group, if you have online voting, you can have the live provisional result displayed publicly, and allow people to change their vote up until the deadline. With this in place, normal score voting should work perfectly well and allow people to adopt reasonable strategy without having to guess in advance what other people will do. Any other system (other than approval voting) is likely to be too complex or difficult to work with for this.

But you might have to have a period where the election ends non-deterministically to stop voters engaging in weird and unpredictable behaviour by adding or removing support for candidates immediately before the deadline.