[EM] (3) MJ -- The easiest method to 'tolerate'

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sat Sep 3 15:13:59 PDT 2016

Steve,

An election for a powerful political office isn't a jury-like
collaboration among voters to select the best winner. Rather it is
competition between factions of voters who are trying to elect their
favourites and/or prevent the election of some candidate
they consider relatively bad.

But suppose that MJ is used and the voters give their sincere absolute
ratings (on some magically standardised scale, independent
of the actual candidates).

Say there are candidates X and Y and voters rate them on A-B-C-D-E-F
grading ballots.

40: X a, Yf
11: Ya, Xb
38: Ya, Xf
11: Yc, Xf

60% of these voters prefer Y to X  but MJ elects X.  Is this really the
best result? The 11 who voted Ya,Xb and the 11 who voted Yc, Xf
might wish they had "lied" and voted like the rest of Y's supporters.

I like expressive ballots and there's no reason why IBIFA can't also use
6-slot ratings ballots. Here it elects Y.  Whenever the winners of
IBIFA and MJ (or Bucklin or MCA or Range) differ the IBIFA winner will
pairwise-beat the other.

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/IBIFA

Chris Benham