[EM] Mono-switch-Plump criterion compliance claims corrected

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Mon Oct 24 04:58:59 PDT 2016

The Mono-switch-plump criterion is much stronger than I previously
thought, and is probably simply incompatible with the
Condorcet criterion.

I used to think that its met by two of my favourite Condorcet methods,
Margins-Sorted Losing Votes (erw) Elimination (equivalent in the 3
candidate case
to the "MMLV(erw)M" I discuss in the May 2014 post) and Approval Sorted
Margins.  Consider this election under MSLVerwE :

40: A
29: C>A
03: B
28: B>C

A>B 69-31,    B>C 31-29,    C>A 57-40.   LV(erw) scores:  A40 > B31 >
C29.  No adjacent pair is out-of-order pairwise, so MSLV(erw)E elects A.

But if we switch the 3 B plumping ballots to A then C becomes the
Condorcet winner (C>B 29-28,  C>A 57-43).

43: A
29: C>A
28: B>C

And now this election under Approval Sorted Margins:

30: C
04: C>A
33: A>B
32: B

A>B 37-32,   B>C 64-34,   C>A 34-33.    (Implicit) Approval scores: B64
 > A37 > C34.  The adjacent pair with the smallest (absolute margin)
difference
in their scores (A > C) is pairwise out of order so we flip that to give
B > C > A.  Now neither adjacent pair is pairwise out-of-order, so the
order is
final and so Margins Sorted Approval elects B.

But if we switch two of the 32 B plumping ballots to A then A becomes
the Condorcet winner (A>B 39-34,  A>C 35-34).

30: C
04: C>A
33: A>B
02: A
30: B

I doubt that IBIFA meets the criterion.

But I remain sure that it's met by Bucklin (and similar methods like MTA
and MCA and QLTD).

Chris Benham

On 11 May 2014  Chris Benham  posted  to EM: