[EM] CD & truncation-resistance. Definitions people like.

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Thu Oct 13 21:02:53 PDT 2016

43: A
03: A>B
44: B>C  (sincere is B or B>A)
10: C

C>A  54-46,    A>B  46-44,   B>C 47-10.

Here A is the sincere CW and supported by the largest of the three
factions of voters, but Winning Votes rewards the buriers by electing B.

Benham and  LV(erw)SME   easily elect  A.    Smith//Approval (equivalent
here to Max Covered Approval) and Approval Sorted Margins elect C.

On 10/14/2016 1:08 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> 1. Typically that CWs is a middle CWs, as in your example.

C: (By "CWs" Mike means 'sincere CW').  No, in my example A  could be a
wing candidate.  Say A is Centre-Left,  B is Centre-Right and  C is
(to use a Kevin Venzke expression) a "Martian" candidate, perhaps Far
Right.  C should be irrelevant and would be without the B supporters'
burying.

> So the B voters in your example dislike C more than the A voters do.
>
> A C victory will be worse for the B voters than for the A voters.
>
> So the A voters have a more credible threat.

C:  No.

> The A voters could say to the B voters:
>
> "Ok, let's get this straight: You're going to bury our candidate, and
> you think we should show our gratitude by supporting your candidate in
> 2nd place  ".

C: This assumes that the B faction gave notice of their intention to
bury A (and didn't all just blindly copy their candidates' "how-to-vote
card" that they saw
for the first time just before they voted.)

Also it assumes that for all (or nearly all) the A voters the B
faction's voting strategy is the most important issue in the election.
But in any case in the example
only 6% of the A voters failed to truncate, and that was sufficient to
allow the B factions' burial to succeed under Winning Votes (and MMPO).

> What happens when there's a CWs is more important than how a natural
> top cycle is solved.

C: In the 3-candidate (and so 3 factions) scenario, I think we can
meaningfully distinguish between a "sincere CW" that in order to be the
actual voted
CW has to rely on rival factions not merely truncating, and one that
only needs rival factions to not actively bury (order-reverse or vote an
insincere preference).

I don't much care about the former (weaker) type, and in any case I
think they are hopeless cause.  Resolving a "natural top cycle" properly
is more important
than trying to save them (or to "deter" big bad "offensive truncators").

On the other hand the largest-of-three factions definitely shouldn't be
vulnerable to burial because only 94% of them truncated!

Chris Benham