[EM] CD & truncation-resistance. Definitions people like.

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue Oct 11 22:55:15 PDT 2016

On 10/12/2016 12:12 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> Regarding the CD example, Chris suggested scenarios in which one of
> the other candidates, not A, is the CWs.

33: A>B
32: B (sincere may be B>A)
34: C

Mike,

I don't recall doing that exactly.   I like compliance with CD. The
example I posted recently:

> Given that burial vulnerability is unavoidable in Condorcet methods, I
> think that is more democratic if  (in this respect) larger factions
> have the advantage over smaller factions.
>
> 43: A
> 03: A>B
> 44: B>C  (sincere is B or B>A)
> 10: C
>
> C>A  54-46,    A>B  46-44,   B>C 47-10.
>
> Here A is the sincere CW and supported by the largest of the three
> factions of voters, but Winning Votes rewards the buriers by electing B.
>
> Benham and  LV(erw)SME   easily elect  A.    Smith//Approval elects C.

The  "WV strategy" enthusiast might chastise the 3 A>B voters for
allowing the B supporters' burial to succeed by not truncating but if
they'd
done that then WV would have elected their least-preferred candidate.

The tops-of-the-ballots oriented Benham and  LV(erw)SME  handle the
scenario by (effectively) laughing off C (and electing A in breach of
Minimal Defense), while the more bottoms-of-the-ballots oriented
Smith//Approval notes that C is the most "approved" (i.e. voted above
bottom) candidate and says to the 44 B>C voters "since you voted for C
you can have C".

> Chris recently mentioned an incompatibility between CD & Minimal
> Defense (Eppley's votes-only version of SDSC or WDSC).

C: Certainly we can't have all three of  Plurality, CD and Minimal Defense.

> When discussing Margins Sorted Approval, I objected that it penalizes
> truncation instead of electing the CWs

C: MSA isn't one of my very favourite Condorcet methods, but I prefer it
to Winning Votes.  In the example it elects C.

Chris Benham