[EM] Smith//3Score (was MAM vs Schulze)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Oct 10 15:52:22 PDT 2016

AS Chris Benham and Michael Ossipoff pointed out this Smith//3Score doesn't
disappoint the defecting faction (B) unless the plumping faction (C) is
fairly close to half of the electorate. It only works when C is plumped on
at least 43 percent of the ballots.

To make it work for Mike's example below where C is plumped on only 100 out
of 297 ballots, the middle ranks have to count much les than half of the
equal top ranks.  About 2 percent of the equal top value would do.

So with sincere ballots the point totals are ...

99+.02(98) = 100.96 for A,
98+ .02(99)= 99.98 for B, and
100 for C.  In this case A is both the CW and the points winner.

The B faction's defection simultaneously promotes C to the Smith set and
reduces A's point total to 99, making C (still with 100 points) the method
winner.

What makes this example hard is that the C faction is just over one third
of the electorate, and that the A and B subfactions are very close in size.

For a defection attempt to succeed under these conditions the B faction
would have to possess very precise information.  If the A faction had the
same information it would be easy for them to make a defensive move in the
form of truncating B on a few ballots.

In practice, a point value substantially larger than .02 for the middle
ranks would be adequate.

What would be a reasonable compromise?

How about 1/4 or 25% ?

In that case the A faction could say to the B faction, "You rank me on two
ballots and I will rank you on seven."

The resulting equilibrium would be

92 A
 7 A>B
96 B
 2 B>A
100 C

Candidate A is elected as the CW.

If B defects from this equilibrium proposal ...

92 A
 7 A>B
98 B
100 C

then {A, B, C} forms Smith, and C wins with 100 points, while B gets only

98+7/4 = 99.75 points.

If grade style ballots were in use, the A faction could say I will give you
two B grades in exchange for two D's.

Two B grade points add up to 1.5 which would bring the B candidate up to
99.5, still short of the 100 needed to tie the C candidate.

On the other hand, the two D grades for the A candidate would make her the
Condorcet Winner.

When the plumping faction forms greater than 39 percent of the electorate,
then no strategy would be needed other than for the larger subfaction to
give D grades to the potential defection candidate.

32 A(4), B(1)
31 B(4) (Sincere B>0)
39 C(4)

If eight or more of the B faction give A a positive rating, then A wins as
the only member of the Smith set.

If fewer than eight vote sincerely, then C and B are tied with 156 grade
points each.

So the method I am now proposing is

Smith//GPA

Elect the member of the Smith set with the largest Grade Point Average.

From: Michael Ossipoff