[EM] MAM vs Schulze

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sun Oct 9 05:47:24 PDT 2016

Mike,

When it comes to Condorcet methods, I think that  (up to a point) some
truncation incentive  (and so some "vulnerability to
truncation") is somewhere between a good thing and a relatively small
necessary evil  ("necessary" to avoid greater evil).

> The strategy situation of the methods you listed isn't as good as Bucklin.
>
> Surely the purpose of a pairwise-count method is to _improve_ on Bucklin.

C: The methods I listed all meet Smith and Bucklin doesn't. Under
Bucklin all voters have such a strong truncation incentive that
the method is more-or-less strategically equivalent to Approval.

Under Benham and  LV(erw) SME  informed strategists have a much weaker
truncation incentive and in the zero-info. case there
is no truncation incentive.

Given that burial vulnerability is unavoidable in Condorcet methods, I
think that is more democratic if  (in this respect) larger factions
have the advantage over smaller factions.

43: A
03: A>B
44: B>C  (sincere is B or B>A)
10: C

C>A  54-46,    A>B  46-44,   B>C 47-10.

Here A is the sincere CW and supported by the largest of the three
factions of voters, but Winning Votes rewards the buriers by electing B.

Benham and  LV(erw)SME   easily elect  A.    Smith//Approval elects C.

> Smith//Approval shares the great vulnerability to truncation & burial.

C: Obviously the supporters of the sincere CW have much less truncation
incentive under Smith//Approval than they do under Bucklin,
so  I wonder what example you have in mind.

40: A>B
35: B
25: C

The Condorcet winner is  A, but under Bucklin the A supporters' failure
to truncate gives the win to B.

Chris Benham