[EM] MUMA like method with MJ style ballots

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Oct 5 13:35:55 PDT 2016

Jameson,

All of your comments are accurate and relevant, and the chicken problem is
the greatest; my proposal is no better than plain Approval in that regard.

Still as a public proposal it might be relatively easy to sell, especially
if we call it ...

:"Fewest Grades Below Average versus Most Grades Above Average"

 (abbreviated FGBAvsMGAA),

and bill it as an instant runoff between the candidate given the fewest
number of below average grades and the candidate given the greatest number
of above average grades by the voters.

[A grade of C is considered average.]

Simplify it by sticking with the traditional A, B, C, D, and F grade
options, with D as the default grade.

This method shares with ordinary Instant Runoff the perception that it is
completely safe to vote your favorite strictly above your compromise
candidate, only in this case it's much, much closer to the truth.

There's room to distinguish Favorite (Green), Compromise (Libertarian),
Blah(Gerald Ford), LesserEvil(Stalin), and Greater Evil(Hitler).

The biggest complaint against Approval by IRV supporters is that Approval
requires you to vote your compromise equal with your favorite (or not
approve your compromise at all).

So I propose it as a good method that could compete successfully against
IRV.

We could call it the "Lake Wobegon" method because (according to Garrison
Keillor) that's where all of the women are strong, all of the men are good
looking, and all of the children are above average.

Forest