[EM] MUMA like method with MJ style ballots

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:53:47 PDT 2016

I'm renaming NUMA to MAS, Majority Acceptable Score. (In Spanish, Mayoría
Aceptable Sopeso.) Here's the new, equivalent, definition:

You should explicitly give 0, 1, or 2 points to each candidate; call these
actions "downvoting", "midvoting", and "upvoting". Eliminate all candidates
who were downvoted by a majority. Then, take the highest remaining point
score, or if no candidates remain, the highest score overall.

Default rule: If a candidate gets upvoted by over 25%, blank votes for them
count as midvotes (1 point); if they get upvoted by less, blank votes for
them count as downvotes (0 points). A voter who leaves all candidates in a
race blank is not counted as having voted in that race at all.

Obviously, this could in principle be simplified yet further, with
essentially no strategic consequences in the abstract, by simply having
blank votes always count as downvotes. However, I think that would be bad
in a chicken dilemma situation, where most voters will tend to do what they
thing most other voters will tend to do. Thus, it should be clear that the
default in a chicken dilemma is to midvote, while the default for a dark
horse candidate is to downvote.

By redefining it to scores of 0/1/2 instead of -1/0/1, I remove the
possibility of negative scores, which simplifies things for those not
comfortable with math.