[EM] Trying to have CD, protect strong top-set, and protect middle candidates too

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 18:03:36 PST 2016

Sorry to bother you yet again about this comparison, but I just want to say
one more thing about it:

It occurs to me that I was needlessly worried about a conflict, in MDDAsc,
between protecting against chicken-dilemma defection by B's voters, vs
protecting B from truncation & burial if s/he is CWs.

II realize that, in the standard chicken-dilemma example, C is
majority-disqualified, and is the only majority-disqualified candidate.

In that 3-candidate example, if B were the larger of {A,B}, and were CWs,
then, with the B voters not ranking or approving C, then, if the C voters
buried B under A, they'd thereby elect A as the only non-disqualified
candidate. (as several people have already pointed out).

So, in the chicken-dilemma situation, even if B were the CWs, s/he wouldn't
need an approval from A, for deterrence against truncation or burial. The
chicken-dilemma exists when people feel pretty sure that it exists. If it
looks & feels like a chicken-dilemma situaton, i probably is.  It's
disconcertingly obvious. And, then, there's no need to worry "What if it
might, instead, be a situation in which B needs approval from the A
voters?"

So my concern about that was needless.

It's clear when it's a chicken-dilemma situation, and MDDAsc works fine in
that situation. The voter has the option of dealing with the
chicken-dilemma situation when it's clear that there is one, and also
_fully, solidly, positively_ protecting, from truncation & burial,
middle-ranked candidates who need  that protection.

Michael Ossipoff