[EM] Trying to have CD, protect strong top-set, and protect middle candidates too

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 19:27:17 PST 2016

Kevin suggested IC,MMPO, as a method that meets FBC, avoids
chicken-dilemma, and has MMPO's (uncertain) kind of protection of a
middle-ranked CWs.

MMPOsc achieves that too,and the symmetrical completion avoids the
Hitler-with-2-votes bad-example.  But the symmetrical completion that it
needs spoils its truncation-proofness.

So an advantage of IC,MMPO over MMPOsc is truncation proofness, because the
IC avoids MMPO's bad-example, and so the symmetrical completion isn't
needed.

Forest's MDDAsc could be used with IC too. IC,MDDAsc would add a sort of
Condorcet-Criterion compliance. I guess the symmetrical completion would
still be needed, to keep Mono-Add-Plump,but, it doesn't do any harm to
MDDA's solid, positive protection of a middle-ranked CWs to whom approval
isn't denied..

So that's four related methods:

MDDAsc
MMPOsc
IC,MDDAsc
IC,MMPO

Some advantages among them:

MDDAsc:

Protection of a middle-ranked CWs is positive & solid, if approval isn't
denied that candidate.

MMPOsc:

Chicken-dilemma deterrence is automatic. All middle-ranked candidates would
receive some (uncertain) protection if they're CWs. But the protection of
_any_ middle-ranked CWs is uncertain, and might or might not be there.

The necessary symmetrical completion spoils the truncation-proofness that
MMPO would otherwise have..

Deterrence of burial and truncation depends on the would-be buriers knowing
if the strength of pairwise oppositions favors them, or will result in
penalty. It depends largely on whether the candidate under whom they bury
the CWs has strong pairwise opposition other than by the CWs. Maybe that
threat would depend on the voters of the defending wing, between the median
and any possible burying-candidate,  purposely leaving hir only weakly
pairwise-opposed (other than by the CWs). If there are a number of
candidates under whom the CWs could be buried, and who could receive strong
pairwise opposition, then it might be necessary to give low opposition
(other than by the CWs)  to a number of them.

Anyway, the protection of a middle-ranked CWs is always uncertain.

IC,MDDAsc:

Compiance with Improved Condorcet Criterion is added to MDDAsc's properties.

IC,MMPO.

Same as above. Also, because symmetrical completion isn't needed, due to
IC, this method has, as an advantage over MMPOsc, that it's
truncation-proof.

MDDAsc & IC,MDDAsc seem to win the comparison because the voter can give
full, sold, positive protection to a candidate to whom s/he doesn't deny
approval.  Chicken dilemma will be relatively uncommon, and so approval
won't usually be denied.

Michael Ossipoff