[EM] Small National Assembly. Bottom-Up Government.

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Wed Nov 23 06:11:21 PST 2016

Good Morning, Michael

We express ourselves differently, but there is similarity in our views.
  If I can do so without seeming argumentative, I'd like to describe my
attitude about parties.

You mention that I "feel that parties are a bad thing".  It's true, I
do, but this is a complicated topic because partisanship is an important
part of society.  It is a natural part of human interaction that gives
breadth, depth and volume to our voice.  It is not only inevitable, it
is healthy.  Parties provide the path for change.  Our efforts here, in
discussing a bottom-up political system, will be futile if we cannot
attract others to join us - and that's partisanship.

Even so, parties are dangerous.  As George Washington warned us in his
Farewell Address, political parties provide the means for cunning,
ambitious, and unprincipled men to subvert the power of the people and
usurp for themselves the reins of government.  When parties control the
political infrastructure, the people are blocked from deciding the
issues and naming the candidates for public office.

That's why achieving a bottom-up structure is so important - it gives
non-partisans a voice in politics; a way to soften the excesses of party
politics.

While it is true that "Parties & their platforms clarify and summarize
the offerings", that is a top-down concept.  when political action
starts at the neighborhood level, the people - including, but not
limited to party members - will decide the issues and select the
candidates they believe able to resolve them.  Such an arrangement
encourages the absorption of diverse interests, reducing them to their
essential element: their effect on the participants in the process.
There are no platforms, there is no ideology, the divisiveness of party
politics is gone.  The only question is, which participants are the most
attuned to the needs of the community and have the qualities required to
advocate the common good.

You wrote, "It will be natural if & when, by conversations everywhere,
there comes to be a largely unanimous feeling that democracy is never
going to be allowed under current rule. It's about conversation, not
leaders or organizers."

I don't disagree, but someone has to start the conversation - as we are
doing here.  To that extent, we are leaders.  However, in this case,
once thoughtful conversation starts, others may show themselves to have
better ideas than ours.

Fred Gohlke