[EM] Trying to have CD, protect strong top-set, and protect middle candidates too

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue Nov 22 08:51:48 PST 2016

On 11/22/2016 9:25 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> With MDDTR, if your plump for X makes hir lose, it's because you added
> a ballot. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the new
> ballot plumped for X.
>
> Your ballot made X lose in spite of the fact that it was a plump for
> X, not because it was a plump for X.
>
> But in IRV, when you make X lose by raising hir from last place to 1st
> place, that raising of X was the only thing that you did, and it is
> the reason why X lost.

That "distinction" is meaningless and completely useless.  The idea that
adding a ballot is "something you did" that rates a mention is ridiculous.

>> [Mike:] Anyway, if IRV is so widely used and successful, then why
>> would nonmonotonicity be a problem for MDDTR?
>
> [Chris:] Because IRV has a traditional and (for many) intuitive algorithm
>
> [Mike:] So, tradition before merit?

Mike, the (quoted) question of yours that I was answering was why
"*would* non-monotonicity be a problem for MDDTR?", not why it /should/.

> Chris said:
>
> Just the knowledge that a failure of Mono-add-Plump  is theoretically
> possible could reduce people's enthusiasm for voting and make it more
> likely that those who like to vote by just plumping for their
> favourite will stay home.
>
> [endquote]
>
> .Then the fact that ranking someone 1st place instead of last place
> could make hir lose will likewise make you stay home instead of
> showing up and top-ranking your favorite in IRV.
> .

Monotonicity failures of the Participation-like "Your announced result
may be premature, I have only just voted, here is my ballot" type are
much more stark and
potentially problematic than the "I and everybody else has voted and the
result has been announced, but I wish to alter my ballot and have the
votes recounted"
type.

That is because (a) the media and sometimes the major parties are eager
for a quick result and usually the winner can be determined without
counting all the votes,
and (b) because it isn't practical (with a secret ballot) or legal to
allow voters to to change their already-cast ballots and demand a recount.

Suppose that a simple purely positional method (such as FPP or Approval)
has been used and voter P always just plumps for hir favourite.  Now
suppose that the
method changes to IRV.  No-one can ever demonstrate to voter P that
continuing to vote in the same way can ever cause a worse result for P's
favourite than if
P had stayed home.

That isn't the case with any method (like MDDTR) that fails
Mono-add-Plump. So MDDTR's failure of Mono-add-Plump makes for a much
stronger stay-at-home
incentive than IRV's  vulnerability to Push-over strategy, with the
result that occasionally a subset of candidate X's supporters could have
got a better result for
X (than if they'd top-ranked X) by top-ranking some other candidate.

> Anyway, we now know that, with the pt/2 provision, MDDA & MDDTR
> needn't give up Mono-Add-Plump.   ...and evidently MMPO needn't have
> the Hitler-with-2-votes problem.

Regarding MDDA,  symmetrically completing the ballots only at the bottom
and having a moveable approval cutoff fixes its failures of Mono-add-Plump
and Plurality and Irrelevant Ballots Independence and in my opinion
makes it a good/acceptable method.

Chris Benham