[EM] Dealing with burial in MDDTR

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 14:37:21 PST 2016

I feel that MDDTR should be offered as an unlimited-rankings method.

A voter can use it as Approval, by voting as if it were 3-Slot. S/he can
top-rank hir strong top-set, with the only exception being that, when
there's a serious likelihood of chicken dilemma defection, s/he could
demote someone to 2nd-rank.

First, because MDDTR doesn't have wv's deterrence of burial by merely not
voting the buriers' candidate over anyone, and is therefore more vulnerable
to burial, I'd suggest using MDDTR as Approval, with 2nd-rank available for
chicken-dilemma defection deterrence, only when seriously needed.

That's probably the best way to vote in MDDTR. But a lot of people want
full rankings, and a lot of people would want to use them.

So, how could burial be dealt with by them? The situation isn't as bad as
I'd previously felt. MDDTR is more vulnerable to burial than wv is, but
MDDTR isn't _completely_ vulnerable to burial.

(By "buriers' candidate", I mean the candidate of the buriers. By "burying
candidate", I mean the candidate whom they insinerely vote over the (at
least likely) CWs.)

First, even though burial isn't thwarted & penalized by refusal to rank the
buriers' candidate, people in the wing that likes the CWs should avoid
ranking below the CWs.

That will mean that the buriers' candidate can't majority-beat anyone,
including the burying candidate.  ...and so, in order for everyone to be
majority-beaten, including the burying candidate, it's necessary for some
other candidate to majority-beat the burying candidate, in order for the
burial to succeed.

And that would mean that one of the candidates between the median and the
burying candidate would have to be allowed to majoriity-beat the burying
candidate.

And that means that the buriers, though they have the power to bury as many
candidates as they want to (for a greater chance of burying the CWs), they
can't bury them all under the burying candidate, because they need at least
one of them to majority-beat the burying candidate.

And that means that if, having top-ranked your strong top-set (at least the
ones whose voters you trust), and probably the CWse, even if you don't like
hir quite as much--Below them you can rank the excellent candidates whose
voters you don't trust, or the ones who have a flaw that you don't want to
allow a free pass to.

...with the assurance that not all of them will be buried, because the
buriers will need an intermediate candidate to majority-beat the burying
candidate.

Michael Ossipoff